Welcome to Julia Talbot's blog!

Welcome, everyone! Here's where I blather about writing, life with my wife BA, and my two basset hounds! I love to hear from readers, so comment here or email me!

Friday, May 11, 2012

Movie review

Hey y'all!

Back in the early 2000s (how weird is it to say that?) I went on a gay movie binge. The Sum of Us? you know it. Priest? Heck yeah. Velvet Goldmine was never a fav, but I saw it for Ewan. I loved how the guy in Big Eden called his gramdpa Sam-pa. I even watched coming of age stuff like Beautiful Thing.

I have to admit, as I got older, coming of age, coming out and identity struggle was way less on my radar. As you get older and find out who you are, watching someone else wrangle with it is a lot less appealing, right?

So, I haven't looked at movies that much of late. I watch action adventure like the Raven (which I am waiting to see with BA)

With BA Tortuga out of town, though, I was looking for a movie to watch on my iPad in bed.

Boy Culture came out in 2006, so I may be late catching the train, but it's on .99 rental on iTunes, so it's worth a shot if you're looking for a great little movie. It's about a hustler, but he's high class, snarky, and onscreen he reads a lot like a BA Tortuga character (grins at her girl). X, as he calls himself, is in love with one of his roommates, but they're unable to get their timing right. His other roommate is in love with X, but that's never going to work. The story also centers on one of X's older clients, and how he influences the guys' lives. If you can get past the first 15 minutes of too much self-conscious gay snark, and settle in for the sarcastic yet emotional and yes, fun, ride that follows, it's well worth the watch. I really surprised myself with how much I got invested in the characters.

It doesn't hurt that the main character is total eye candy.

I'd give it 4 stars, but the beginning is a little slow to warm up, so 3 1/2 for me.

XXOO

Julia

1 comment:

Katherine Halle said...

I have never heard of that movie and now I'm gonna have to go check it out, along with a few of the others. I have heard/seen Velvet Goldmine - along with The Broken Hearts Club? that was a good one too.