Welcome to Julia Talbot's blog!

Welcome, everyone! Here's where I blather about writing, life with my wife BA, and my two basset hounds! I love to hear from readers, so comment here or email me!

Monday, August 01, 2011

a little writerly whimper

Just a warning. I'm hormonal and a little raw and I intend to rant a bit. Just so you know (grins)

I just read a story I have going to reprint, and I'm mad.

Nope, not mad at myself. It's a good story. Not mad at my editor. They did a good job, really, considering this story came out back in 2005 when we were all very new at this game.

What I'm mad about is that this story is GOOD. Really good, I think. It's a historical gaucho story, and it's full of nuance and emotion and historical detail. It's good enough that it makes me mad that I let a couple of biased reviews convince me that I couldn't write historical fiction that was good enough for publication anymore. I have nothing against a bad review if it's fair, as not everyone will love every book they read.

But to say I had no business writing historicals? What a load of bullshit.

This is what happens when you stop listening to your gut and listen to stuff from folks who don't know you and don't really read you for pleasure. All of us writers tend to be nervy about reviews and such, but I thought I had a tougher skin. I had no idea how much the whole negative experience affected me back in the day. I really didn't.

Now I do, and I have to say, it's making me rethink the historical in a much more positive way.

That all said (and do I feel better? Hmm, I think so.) The Gaucho Code, which was in Cowboy Up, will come out as a Sip this month, August 13th.

Thanks for listening, y'all! Sometimes it just takes a little whining to feel like I'm back on track

No comments: