Welcome to Julia Talbot's blog!

Welcome, everyone! Here's where I blather about writing, life with my wife BA, and my two basset hounds! I love to hear from readers, so comment here or email me!

Saturday, April 27, 2013

now for something completely different

I was sitting and reading Bon Appetit the other day, and there was one of those little boxes, you know, info chunking instead of articles.

The window box talked about why this particular guy hated B&Bs. I read about how he didn't want to eat breakfast at 7:30 with 10 strangers, and about how he wanted to check into a hotel anytime after 2, not between 4 and 4:30. He didn't want to be chastised for not eating the scones or for getting back past curfew.

Y'all, I was so excited to see someone else who didn't like the B&B experience. Our last one, while very pretty and clean, served us coddled eggs and a dry piece of Udi's toast after claiming to be gluten free accommodating. Worse, she told us she was sorry we missed out on the cookies, as she made great ones. Even though my partner and I and another guest not in our party were GF, she made no attempt to even put out fresh fruit when everyone else got brownies and cookies and homemade bread...

Give me my hotel, where I don't feel like I'm tiptoeing through someone else's life.

Doesn't mean I don't have the coolest idea for a B&B storyline, though...

It was just fun to see someone else say the same thing.

XXOO

Julia

1 comment:

Katherine Halle said...

UGH that really sucks that you had such a poor experience :( I'll go out on a limb and say that it's just not a good B&B - we've stayed at B&B's a lot and have never really had a bad experience - although some have been better than others. BUT having said that, I can definitely appreciate the amenities a hotel offers. Like parking LOL - sorry, parking is an issue over here in Europe & it's one of the things we're looking forward to getting back to in the States - NOT having to worry about a parking spot.

There are some great hotels that do continental breakfasts but you probably already know that :D